Our last post, “Health Tip: Improve Your Health the Easy Way”, was a popular one. Clearly everyone is looking for simple and practical ways they can improve their health and feel, look and be better naturally.
I’m always telling people to drink more water, but what prompted me to write the article was the realization that I don’t usually tell people “why”. The “why” is important, because that’s what motivates people to take action, and, I must have done a good job explaining the “why” because there have since been many conversations with patients in our office on this topic prompting me to write this follow-up post.
In the original article (you can find it here if you missed it), I share about the importance of hydration to our health and bodies, and how drinking more water is one thing you can do immediately to make a positive impact on your health. I also shared the formula for ensuring proper hydration. The information resonated with people, and based on their feedback they definitely want to experience the benefits, but there were still objections and obstacles to overcome. We worked through some solutions and many of our patients had creative ideas of their own to share. I wanted to pass the best of them along to you…
Water is boring…
- Freeze slices of lemons, limes, oranges, strawberries and/or grapes to use in place of ice cubes. The featured image to this post is a great example of how much more enticing this is!
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice to a tall glass of cold water (or more or less as you like it). Sweeten with Stevia, stir and enjoy for a zesty, sugar-free lemon or limeade. Extra bonus: Lemon and lime helps to balance the body’s PH!
I just can’t get into the habit…
- Purchase 2 water bottles (one for a.m. and one for p.m.). Use a permanent marker to make lines for various times of day. This will help you gauge our water intake and track your progress (see an example to the right).
- Set a reminder on your computer or smartphone for the top of each hour. Drink one glass of water every hour while at work or school. When the work or school day is done your water quota should be nearly met.
- Have a big glass of water at each transitional point of the day: when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, before and after each meal and snack, etc.
- Drink with a straw – you’ll take bigger gulps and drink much more quickly.
- After each trip to the restroom, down an eight-ounce glass to replenish your system.
You’ll do better if you make it fun…
- Make a bet with a co-worker to see who can drink more water throughout the day.
- Drink water from a fancy or fun glass or bottle, add garnishes; anything to make it feel fun and special.
- Add motivational or inspiring messages or quotes on your water bottle or glass. Use stickers or write with a permanent marker. You’ll smile with every sip!
- Purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it from the tap or water cooler instead of purchasing bottled water.
- Keep those disposable water bottles out of the landfill by recycling. Or, you and your coworkers could plan a project like this one to the right!
When weight loss is your motivation…
- When you have a junk-food craving, down a glass of water immediately. You’ll feel full quickly and probably find the craving will pass.
- Drink two full glasses at
each meal, one before and one after. Also, drink one glass before each snack. It’s a simple thing but you’ll find you won’t eat as much.
If you have your own water drinking tips, we would love to hear them! Please comment below and share what you do to incorporate more water into your wellness lifestyle.